Sunday, September 14, 2008

Too Precious

This evening it was my turn to sing special music before the service, and I had narrowed it down to this song. I've been practicing it for a little while now, but something happened when I got up there and started to sing. It was as if the Lord opened my eyes - really opened them -to the words, the message, for the first time. This sense of overwhelming came over me, and it took quite an effort to not bawl right then and there. (That happened later) As it was, my eyes got a little watery (but not to where I coudln't see the music) and I was able to sing with a real conviction.


The song is "Too Precious" with the music written by Dan Whittemore and the words based on Psalm 49. In between the two verses, I read some verses from Psalm 49. Please enjoy these words (written how I sang/said it) and I pray they touch your heart.




TOO PRECIOUS

Verse 1
All my life I dreamed of good fortune,
And there were times I sought to be honored by men;
Yet, if I owned the richest of kingdoms,
Still I could not save myself from my sin.
Chorus
Too precious, by far, to be sold
Or ransomed for mere earthly gold.
If wealth were the way,
All earth could not pay
The price that could save a man's soul.

Psalm 49:6-15
They that trust in their wealth, and boast themselves in the multitude of their riches;
None of them can by any means redeem his brother, nor give to God a ransom for him:
(For the redemption of their soul is precious, and it ceaseth for ever:)
That he should still live for ever, and not see corruption.
For he seeth that wise men die, likewise the fool and the brutish person perish, and leave their wealth to others.
Their inward thought is, that their houses shall continue for ever, and their dwelling places to all generations; they call their lands after their own names.
Nevertheless man being in honour abideth not: he is like the beasts that perish.
This their way is their folly: yet their posterity approve their sayings. Selah.
Like sheep they are laid in the grave; death shall feed on them; and the upright shall have dominion over them in the morning; and their beauty shall consume in hte grave from their dwelling.
But God will redeem my soul from the power of the grave: for he shall receive me. Selah

Verse 2
Tho' I speak of life everlasting,
I know my life is only as long as the day;
For it is only the love of my Savior
That redeems me from my sin and its grave.
Chorus
Too precious, by far, to be sold
Or ransomed for mere earthly gold.
If wealth were the way,
All earth could not pay
The price that could save a man's soul

Tag
If wealth were the way,
All earth could not pay
The price that could save a man's soul.



No comments: